The vision of QNSA is to build a national accreditation system matching global accreditation systems in performance and quality. QNSA aims to achieve the principles of the education system in the State of Qatar, in an era of educational reform, ensuring that schools are continuously and consistently improving standards through self-evaluation and action planning.
The Concept of School Accreditation:
School accreditation is imperative, as it helps facilitate a school into assessing the quality of their own school through a critical self-study; and development and monitoring of a school improvement plan. Using established criteria, the accreditation process allows peer educators and stakeholders alike to understand a school site’s learning outcomes, and examine programs geared towards student performance (i.e. evaluating mission and program alignment). The QNSA is a specialized entity that reviews a school’s selfstudy, validating areas of strength and reinforcing the areas a school needs for improvement. This is done according to specific standards set forth for accreditation as elaborated in this QNSA handbook.
The criteria used are based on researched guidelines that drive school improvement and encourage a school to focus on its school mission in order to meet high level achievement for all students they serve. These guidelines are uniform to various international accrediting organizations, as they serve as universal threads that are important towards the success of any school.
Objectives of School Accreditation:
The main objective of QNSA accreditation is to improve the quality of schools using established standards to ensure that each child in Qatar is receiving an optimal learning experience based on their individual educational needs. This is done through the establishment of learning results/outcomes, and the support that school programs provide to ensure that each child is receiving the necessary support to meet standards for high achievement. The overall objectives of school accreditation can be summarized as follows:
- Ascertain the level of school performance and educational processes and management through self-study and school visits; to encourage self-evaluation and planning for the future; as well as improving all elements of the educational process on a continuous and consistent basis.
- Ensure schools are meeting requirements and specifications of the school under evaluation and accreditation. Guide schools in developing learning results that ensures that each student is learning (i.e. what each student should know at each level of program?)
- Ensure a solid level of academic performance, and to evaluate educational programs offered by the school under assessment and accreditation. Ensure access for students and parents to the information that shows how students are assessed and attain grades/their degrees, based on academic standards of high quality.
- Increase awareness to all stakeholders about the schools in terms of accountability and the cycle of improvement through research-based modes.
- Increase community service, through raising the efficiency of schools and improving their performance as a result of the educational accreditation process in the long run.
- Help validate school strengths and guide schools in the development and implementation of a school improvement plan through a specific action plan. This will identify areas of improvement and target times for completion.